Office of the President of New College: George F. Baughman Papers, 1961-1965
- 2.50 Linear Feet
- Preferred citation:
- Office of the President of New College of Florida: George F. Baughman Papers, New College of Florida Archives, New College of Florida, Sarasota, Florida
Access and Use
- Conditions Governing Access:
This collection is open to all researchers.
Before photographing or publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from the New College Archives, and the holder of the copyright, if not New College of Florida.
- Scope and Content:
The George F. Baughman Papers contain the records of George F. Baughman from 1959 to 1966 in the form of correspondence, minutes, legal documents, financial documents, literary productions, printed material and photographic material.
- Biographical / Historical:
George F. Baughman, 1915-2004, served as the first President of the experimental New College of Florida from its founding in 1961 as a private liberal arts college until 1965. Baughman was responsible for organizing, fundraising and supervising the construction of the College. He raised funds for campus buildings and secured scholarships and the faculty for the first class of 1964. Most notably, he was responsible for bringing the reknowned architect, I.M. Pei, to design campus buildings and gaining the support from several noted Sarasotans, including Phillip Hiss and Jane Bancroft Cook.
He established the original curriculum, characterized by faculty evaluations and based upon the Oxford model.The College was intended to attract gifted students by setting high standards. He set the tone for the school's undiminished free-thinking philosophy and engaging classes.
George F. Baughman earned both a combined arts and science degree in 1937 and a law degree in 1939 from the University of Florida at Gainesville, Florida. While earning his undergraduate and law degree, he spent time learning the banking business by working for the National Metropolitan Bank, Washington, D.C., and the Phifer State bank at Gainesville. In 1939, he went to Washington, D.C. where he combined the private practice of law with a position in the National Metropolitan Bank. In 1941 he returned to Gainesville to teach.
From 1942 to 1946, Dr. Baughman served with the U.S. Navy Supply Corps as Lieutenant Commander and as officer-in-charge of the Lend-Lease Program of the Bureau of Supplies and Accounts, serving in 56 countries. He was awarded the comendation of the Secretary of the Navy, the Military Order of the British Empire, and the French Legion of Honor.
Dr. Baughman earned his Master's degree at George Washington University and earned an honorary doctorate in 1957 from New England College of Pharmacy and an honorary doctorate from New York University in 1962.
Dr. Baughman served for six years as Vice president and Treasurer of New York University prior to his position as president of New College.
Dr. Baughman served as a member of the board and chairman of the finance committee for the Educational Testing Service, Inc., Princeton, New Jersey. He was a member of the Bar in Florida and the District of Columbia and involved in many clubs, such as the Florida University Club and the New York University Club. His fraternity memberships included Beta Theta Pi and Phi Kappa Phi among several others.
Dr. George Baughman was married to Hazel Ruth Zoerner and was the father of two daughters, Sharon Baughman Campion and Mary Gaye Wood.
Note written by Gail Donovan