University of Central Florida Scrapbook Collection
Scope and Contents
The University Scrapbook Collection is an ongoing collection containing materials created by and for the university that have been arranged into a scrapbook format.
Series I: University History Scrapbooks, 1963-2009, chronicles the University's history through the local and national media. The series is divided into two subseries. Catalogued Scrapbooks holds a bound volume collection that contains materials written about or for the University from its inception to the 1980s; they have been microfilmed and are catalogued under call number LD1772.F9 A6829. Uncataloged scrapbooks mostly consist of newsprint that was cut from local, state, and national papers which talked about the University in various capacities, but some include programs for various campus events, inter-office materials, such as, memos and staff directories, and photographs. Instead of creating scrapbooks, similar information is now collected using articles on the internet in which UCF is mentioned. The information is collated by News and Information, and the results are held under "UCF in the News."
Series II: Academic and Athletic Scrapbooks, 1968-1991, contains scrapbooks from both academic and athletic departments and organizations found on the FTU/UCF campus. These scrapbooks were created as a way to chronicle the growth of the University's athletic and academic community through their various events and performances. The majority of the materials include music department programs for various events and performances as well as newspaper clippings, advertising, and promotional materials for all organizations.
Series III: Student Organizations and Services Scrapbooks, 1960-2002, is a series that highlights student events and activities that were planned and sponsored by both the Village Center, the precursor to the current student activities group, CAB. (Campus Activities Board), the current university group who plans and sponsors student activities and events and soroities. The Village Center scrapbooks are made up of thirty-seven folders and two scrapbooks while the CAB. scrapbooks are comprised of eight scrapbooks containing pictures taken by various members of CAB. both of their planning meetings and the activities they promoted. This collection houses a multitude of news clippings that primarily come from University publications as well as photographs, calendars of events, and pamphlets promoting various functions. The student services scrapbooks show the range of services provided to students and some of the activities sponsored by Student Affairs.
Series IV: Alumni Scrapbooks, 1961-1986, is made of mostly news clippings that not only chronicle the emergence of FTU and UCF but the alumni members who hail from the university. While this series does focus on the growth of FTU/UCF, the history is recorded from an alumni standpoint. This history shows a more student oriented view of the university rather than an administrative view that is seen in the first series.
Language of Materials
This collection is open for research.
Unpublished records are protected by copyright. Permission to publish quote or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical or Historical Information
The University of Central Florida is a public, multi-campus, metropolitan research university, dedicated to serving its surrounding communities with their diverse and expanding populations, technological corridors, and international partners. The mission of the university is to offer high-quality undergraduate and graduate education, student development, and continuing education; to conduct research and creative activities; and to provide services that enhance the intellectual, cultural, environmental, and economic development of the metropolitan region, address national and international issues in key areas, establish UCF as a major presence, and contribute to the global community.
29 boxes (18 Linear Feet & 23 Books)
These materials were collected by various unknown individuals as a way to chronicle the history of the University of Central Florida since its creation as Florida Technological University. The collection is divided into four series to delineate between general University history and organizational history. The vast majority of this collection is made up of news articles cut from local newspapers, however there are other materials such as office notes, pictures, brochures, and pamphlets.
This collection is arranged in four series according to the content or creator of the scrapbook.
Method of Acquisition
Bonnie Ebner transferred these materials to the University of Central Florida Libraries, Special Collection and University Archives in 2005 (CFU2005_09). Amy Barnickel transferred additional materials in 2005 (CFU2005_21). Jeff Snow transferred additional materials in 2005 (CFU2005_25). Tom Messina transferred additional materials in 2006 (CFU2006_14). Frank Santry gifted additional materials in 2006 (CFU2006_18). Cheryl Flesh transferred additional materials in 2006 (CFU2006_21). Sandy Pouliot transferred additional materials in 2006 (CFU2006_30). Denise Stone transferred additional materials in 2009 (CFU2009_07). Janell Brabonec transferred additional materials in 2009 (CFU2009_11). Unknown transferred additional materials in 2004 (CFU2004_AR).
Accruals and Additions
Collection Identifier: CFU19XX_07; Additions: CFU19XX_08, CFU19XX_09, CFU19XX_10, CFU2005_09, CFU2005_21, CFU2005_25, CFU2006_14, CFU2006_18, CFU2006_21, CFU2006_30, CFU2009_07, CFU2009_11
Existence and Location of Originals
Catalogued materials in Series I have been microfilmed and are available for viewing through the University of Central Florida's Library Audio Visual Department as well as in the library Special Collections Department. Two copies can be found with the Audio Visual Department while Special Collections has one copy. Reels are numbered starting with roll #14 and continue through to roll #26, encompassing all twelve volumes.
Collection processed by and finding aid prepared by April Karlene Anderson in 2006. Scrapbooks held in the University Archives were gathered to create this collection. Where they could be removed, rusted paper clips were removed and replaced with plastic clips. As the majority of these scrapbooks were created by gluing or taping clipped newspaper articles to heavier pages, it was usually best to leave the scrapbooks as they were found. Acid-free paper has been used as dividers between especially abused pages. In most cases, the scrapbooks have been wrapped in archival acid-free paper and either shelved or boxed in archival containers. Post-it notes were moved to the edge of pages to prevent destruction of information. Duplicates were removed and social security numbers were obliterated. In 2007, there was an addition, resulting in edition 2 of the finding aid. In 2008, additional scrapbooks from 2005-2008 were integrated by Katie Seeler, resulting in edition 3. UCF in the News consists of articles, in which the university is mentioned, printed from the internet. In 2009, additions were integrated by Nava Cohen, resulting in edition 4. The finding aid was updated for consistency among all collections by Mary Rubin in 2013, resulting in edition 5. The finding aid was placed into Archon, with adjustments made for Archon and resulting in edition 6, by Mary Rubin in 2015. More scrapbooks are expected to be added to this collection through various University offices, organizations, and individuals. The acquisition method field and the subjects were updated by Kryslynn Collazo in 2018, resulting in edition 6.
- Florida -- Orlando Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida Technological University Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida Technological University -- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida Technological University -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida Technological University -- Sports Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida Technological University -- Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- SPIE (Society) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Local sources
- Scrapbooks -- Specimens Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Specimens Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and Colleges -- Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- Universities and Colleges--Florida--Orlando--History Subject Source: Local sources
- Universities and colleges Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- University of Central Florida -- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida -- Sports Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida -- Students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- calenders Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- news clippings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Central Florida Scrapbook Collection UA27G
- April Karlene Anderson; additions integrated by Katie Seeler and Nava Cohen
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the UCF University Archives Repository
5th Floor - Room 501
John C. Hitt Library
Orlando FL 32816 US