Apalachicola Tent and Awning Company Records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of the business records from the Apalachicola Tent and Awning Company once located in Apalachicola, Florida. The company manufactured pyramidal tents under contract from the United States Army from early 1941 to at least October 1942. The records are unclear as to when the company ceased operations.
J.H. Hodges, Sr. owned the building that housed the company from 1935 until 1951. The records reflect a wide range of day to day operations including ordering raw materials, sending and receiving invoices, tracking orders, requests for information, correspondence with the Federal Government including bids, rating certificates and other needs of the Quartermaster Corps. Additionally, the collection includes plans/diagrams for the tents, Department of Labor safety posters and several personnel photographs.
- 1941 - 2009
- Majority of material found within 1941 - 1942
- Date acquired: 03/18/2009
- J. H. Hodges, Sr. (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish, exhibit, or broadcast works from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience must be requested and granted in writing by the director of the Institute. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Institute on World War II as the owner of the physical items and the copyright holder. Possession of a copy of an item does not constitute permission to publish, exhibit, or broadcast it. The Institute on World War II and the Human Experience reserves the right to refuse permission to individuals and publishers who have not complied with its policies. Permission fees must be paid before images are provided. Please contact the director of the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience for current publication and duplication rates.
Biographical or Historical Information
J.H. Hodges, Sr. was the owner and operator of the Apalachicola Tent and Awning Company.
Source of Acquisition
Lee L. Willis
Method of Acquisition
- Apalachicola (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Franklin County (Fla.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Tents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tents--History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tents--United States--Design and construction. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army Ground Forces Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Women--Employment Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Equipment and supplies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Apalachicola Tent and Awning Company Records 02.09.0054
- Jeffrey Scott Henley
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Institute on WWII and the Human Experience Repository
Tallahassee FL 32306 US