Skip to main content

Frank Facente transcript

 Collection — Box: Single Folder Collections - 2001 Box, Folder: 001
Identifier: 02.01.0295

Scope and Contents

The Frank Facente transcript describes medic Frank Facente's service in the 4th Medical Battalion, 4th Infantry Division, as a part of the United States Army during World War II. Facente participated in the landing at Normandy, attacking the Siegfried Line, Battle of Huertgen Forest, Battle of the Bulge, and visiting the concentration camp at Dachau.


  • 1942-2000
  • Majority of material found within 1942-1945
  • Date acquired: 08/08/2000


Language of Materials

English .

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to all researchers.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish, exhibit, or broadcast works from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience must be requested and granted in writing by the director of the Institute. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Institute on World War II as the owner of the physical items and the copyright holder. Possession of a copy of an item does not constitute permission to publish, exhibit, or broadcast it. The Institute on World War II and the Human Experience reserves the right to refuse permission to individuals and publishers who have not complied with its policies. Permission fees must be paid before images are provided. Please contact the director of the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience for current publication and duplication rates.

Biographical or Historical Information

Frank Facente was born on September 3, 1919, in Union City, New Jersey, one of eleven children. He had problems finding work after he graduated high school due to the end of the Depression era.

Facente was inducted in early 1942 and began training as a medic at Fort Dix in New Jersey, Camp Pickett in Virginia, Camp Gordon in Georgia (where his unit changed from the 4th Armored Division to the 4th Infantry Division), Camp Gordon Johnston in Florida, and Camp Kilmer in New Jersey. Facente and his unit went overseas on the Capetown Castle in January 1944. He arrived in Liverpool, England and traveled to Tiverton, England to complete training.

On June 6, 1944, he landed on Utah Beach during the invasion of Normandy. After D-Day, he traveled across France, Luxembourg, and Germany participating in the attack on the Siegfried Line, the Battle of Huertgen Forest, Battle of the Bulge, entering Munich, and visiting Dachau. In June of 1945, he was sent home to began training for Japan. Once the atomic bombs were dropped he was discharged and returned home.

Soon after he married his fiance Rose, who he met before the war. Of his eleven siblings, six fought overseas and all returned home. In 1965 he moved with his family to Miami, Florida and in 1985 he moved again to Port Charlotte, Florida. In 1993 he lost his wife, Rose. Frank Facente passed away on August 13, 2002, at 82 years old.


1.00 folders

Source of Acquisition

Reichelt Program for Oral History

Frank Facente transcript 02.01.0295
Julianna Witt
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Description is written in: English, Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the Institute on WWII and the Human Experience Repository

Tallahassee FL 32306 US