Monte Allen U.S.S. Kwajalein collection
Scope and Contents
The Monte Allen U.S.S. Kwajalein (CVE-98) collection contains comprehensive records pertaining to officially recorded, declassified daily life aboard the Casablanca Class Escort Carrier U.S.S. Kwajalein, an aircraft carrier, as well as various visual and auditory artifact materials relating to the work and lives of its crewmen.
The collection specifically regards the life of U.S. Navy sailor Monte Allen, information he was able to preserve, and the first-hand observations he deemed important. Allen authored the collection himself. The collection contains detailed photocopies of and notes on ship records, including war diaries, daily logs, muster rolls, and reports of changes amongst the crew and aboard the ship. Direct annotations from Monte Allen within the photocopies provide notes on such things as the living status of crewmen at the time of his writing. Other materials include miscellaneous photographs, copies of photographs, film recordings, naval sheet music, and related publications. These publications describe the lives of sailors postwar and the status of destroyed marine vessels. The image of collection author Monte Allen is featured prominently in the photographs, as well as his perspective in the form of added photograph captions.
- Majority of material found in 1945
- Date acquired: 2016-08-03
- Date accessioned: 2020-05-13
- Allen, Monte (Person)
- Allen, Monte (Donor, Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish, exhibit, or broadcast works from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience must be requested and granted in writing by the director of the Institute. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Institute on World War II as the owner of the physical items and the copyright holder. Possession of a copy of an item does not constitute permission to publish, exhibit, or broadcast it. The Institute on World War II and the Human Experience reserves the right to refuse permission to individuals and publishers who have not complied with its policies. Permission fees must be paid before images are provided. Please contact the director of the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience for current publication and duplication rates.
Biographical or Historical Information
Monte Allen served aboard the U.S.S. Kwajalein from its commissioning in June 1944 until November 1945.
1.5 Linear Feet (3 half boxes)
This collection was donated by Monte Allen. The collection was acquired by the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience on August 3, 2016.
- Aircraft carriers--Pacific Area--History--20th century Subject Source: Local sources
- Allen, Monte (Donor)
- San Pedro, Calif. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Navy--History--20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Pacific Ocean Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Philippines Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Naval operations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Philippines Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Monte Allen U.S.S. Kwajalein collection 02.16.0019
- Lane Elizabeth Miller
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is written in: English, Latin script.
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
Tallahassee FL 32306 US