Showing Collections: 1 - 30 of 51
This collection relates to Charles Aiken who served in the U.S. Army Air Corps in the European Theater of Operation during World War Two. This collection contains a newspaper clipping and an oral history transcript.
This collection relates to Nicholas Baldino who served in the U.S. Army Air Corps with the 5th and 11th Bomb Groups in the Pacific Theatre and his wife Jeanne Baldino. This collection contains an oral history transcript detailing Nicholas Baldino's military service and how Jeanne met Nicholas Baldino.
This collection relates to Harold G. Blunk served as Sergeant Major for the 5th Air Depot Group, 39th Station Composite Squadron, Administrative Division, 35th Depot Repair, in the 8th Air Force Command Station in England from 1943-1945. This collection contains photographs, a newspaper clipping, and documents relating to his personal life and military career.
This collection consists of an oral history interview transcript of a U.S. Army Air Corps cook and baker, who served in England during World War II in the 2003rd Ordnance Unit at Melchbourne Park. This collection also contains a unit history.
This collection contains an oral history transcript of Staff Sergeant Charles Diedling, a flight engineer on a B-24 with the 460th Bomb Group at Spinazola, Italy. Charles Diedling discusses his training as a flight engineer and waist gunner for the B-24 at Keesler AFB, Mississippi and Loredo AFB, Texas. In June of 1944, he was assigned to the 460th Bomb Group of the 15th Air Force in Spinazola, Italy. Diedling was shot down over Germany becoming a prisoner of war.
This collection relates to Allen H. Crawford who served in the U.S. Army Air Force as a bombardier and navigator in the 401st Bomb Group in the European Theater of Operation during World War II. This collection contains an oral history transcript where Crawford details his numerous bombing missions over Germany from late 1944 through the end of the war.
This collection consists of an oral history transcript of an interview with 2nd Lt. James J. Crooke, who served in World War II. Crooke served in the Army Air Corps with the 303rd Bomb Group in the European Theater (ETO).
This collection contains Donald Preston Ward's letters, postcards, and miltary documents. Ward served with the 40th Heavy Bombardment Squadron, 20th Air Force during World War II.
This collection contains the oral history interview of Lieutenant Colonel Everett Walker conducted by the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience. Walker was forced to bail out very near the target on his eighteenth mission as a bombardier and gunner on a B-24. He discusses his rescue from the water, his interrogation experience and the conditions of his internment. He also talks about the many different escape attempts made by the American POWs at Stalag Luft III.
This oral history interview transcript relates to George Logue, an aerial gunner armament specialist on a B-24 assigned to the 15th Air Force. Logue discusses his bombing missions over Europe, being shot down, life as a prisoner of war, and his brief service with the British 5th Army.
George D. Harris (Army Air Corps, 1942-1945) trained as a radioman and gunner on a B-17 and was assigned to the 91st Bomb Group in England in 1943. His collection contains a photocopy of three articles from the American Ex-Prisoners of War Bulletin from January 1996 and a copy of his oral history interview conducted on February 26, 2003.
Oral history of U.S. Army Air Corps B-17 Co-Pilot Colonel Jack H. Heinzel, an American prisoner of war who survived the Bataan death march and subsequent "Hell Ships" starting in April of 1942. The collection contains one folder with fifteen pages detailing this airman's experience of these atrocities.
This collection relates to James W. George who served as a Chief Master Sergeant in the 9th U.S Army Air Force. Wilmot R. George was James George's brother and also served in the European Theater. He served as a Tech Sergeant and received a Silver Star. This collection contains a one-page handwritten summary of James George's military service and ten-page memoir of his brother Wilmont's service during the Second World War.
This collection relates to John Eugene Zemanek who served as a bombardier on a B-24 with the 455th Bombardment Group in Italy during World War II. The collection contains a typed account of the events of April 25, 1945, Zemanek's last bombing mission, and annotated photocopies of pages from Stephen Ambrose's The Wild Blue.
Kenneth H. Larson served as a colonel in the Army Air Forces during World War II. He attended technical school at the Ford Airplane School and the Army Air Force Technical School in Amarillo, Texas. Exercises, study guides, and manuals from his time in technical training are included in this collection, showing the work that students had to complete during this training.
- Names: United States. Army Air Forces X
- Institute on WWII and the Human Experience 50
- FSU Special Collections & Archives 1
- World War, 1939-1945 33
- United States. Army Air Forces--Military life 20
- World War, 1939-1945--Germany 16
- World War, 1939-1945--United States 15
- World War, 1939-1945--Personal narratives, American 14
- Prisoners of war 10
- B-24 (Bomber) 9
- World War, 1939-1945--Aerial operations, American 9
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Italy 9
- B-17 bomber 8
- World War, 1939-1945--Aerial operations, American--Personal narratives 8
- World War, 1939-1945--Prisoners and prisons, American 8
- Prisoners of war--Europe--Interviews 6
- United States--Army Air Forces--Aerial operations 6
- United States--Army Air Forces--Aerial operations--Personal narratives 6
- United States. Army--History 6
- World War, 1939-1945--Great Britain 6
- Germany--History--1933-1945 5
- San Antonio (Tex.) 5
- United States. Army--Military life 5 ∧ less
- United States. Army. European Theater of Operations 15
- United States. Army 6
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 15th 4
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 8th 4
- American Red Cross 3
- Camp Blanding (Fla.) 2
- International Committee of the Red Cross. Central Agency for Prisoners of War 2
- Stalag Luft III 2
- Stalag XVII B Krems-Gneixendorf 2
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 9th 2
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bombardment Group (H), 460th 2
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bombardment Group (Heavy), 351st 2
- United States. Army. Mediterranean Theater of Operations 2
- United States. Marine Corps 2
- University of Florida 2
- Aiken, Charles W., 1920-2006 1
- Alabama Polytechnic Institute 1
- Andrews, Elizabeth Gordon, 1880-1967 1
- Ann, Esther 1 ∧ less